5 Ways to Help Your Child Become More Independent
As children grow older, they should be given more responsibility. You’re not doing your children any favors when you perform basic tasks for them.
1. Make a List Create a list of tasks that your child should be able to do on their own, such as getting dressed or putting their toys away. Talk to them about which tasks they think they can do. If they’re unsure, have them practice in front of you. Eliminate any tasks that they don’t seem to be ready for.
2. Don’t Expect Perfection Children are still figuring out their motor skills, so some mishaps may happen, such as spilling juice when they want to pour themselves a drink. If they mess up, try not to criticize them. Instead, gently show them the correct way to do things. Explain that everyone makes mistakes, and no one is perfect.
3. Allow Enough Time Children tend to need more time to finish tasks compared to adults. Give them the time they need to prevent them from becoming stressed. For example, if it takes your child ten minutes to put on their clothes in the morning, start your daily routine earlier. As they practice, they will get faster at their tasks.
4. Develop a Routine Children need routine to manage their responsibilities. If their daily schedule is constantly changing, they’ll become confused. Explain to them when they have to complete specific tasks. For example, you can tell your child that they need to pick up their toys before getting ready for bed. When it gets close to their bedtime, remind your child that they need to clean up before they put on their pajamas.
5. Offer Praise Children love to be recognized for the things that they do. Give your child praise when they do something on their own, especially if it’s something they needed help with before. You can even turn mistakes into praise. For example, if your child puts their shirt on backward, you can acknowledge that they were able to pick out clothing and dress themselves. Give your child encouragement when they’re feeling frustrated.
source: Child Development Institute
Nutcrackers Daycare Academy We are a family owned and operated academy that provides children with a strong foundation to begin their lives. Our teachers are highly trained and extremely attentive to support your child’s desire to explore and discover. Our passionate staff values the relationships we have with our families and work hard to involve them in all our activities and decisions. Our facility provides an openness inside and out for a child to feel free to explore, create, and learn in a safe, loving and developmentally appropriate environment. Contact at 713-842-7796.
Houston Infant care
Academy, Children, Infants 1, Infants 2, Toddlers, Preschool, After School, Child Care & Day Care, Best Infant Day Care in Houston, Best Child Care in Houston, Childcare in Houston, Daycare & Preschool, Child Care Service Houston, Preschool Houston, Best houston preschool, educational preschool, preschool education, preschool in houston, preschool programs in houston, preschools in houston, Houston preschool, Houston Child care, Houston childcare, Houston daycare, Houston Infant Care, Houston after school care, preschool in Houston, Child care in Houston, childcare in Houston, day care in Houston, daycare in Houston